The Truth About Battery Maintenance
Battery is an important part of an electric bike. Follow the steps in this guide to learn how to use and maintain your battery for longer service life.
How to use the battery
1. Use the right battery and charger
Each HJM e-bike has its own battery and charger. Do not use a battery or charger not purchased directly from HJM. Other third-party products have not been tested for safety and compatibility with our bikes and misuse of these products may cause issues, including property damage, voiding your warranty, or injury/death. So the original battery and charger or those purchased from HJM are strongly recommended.
2. Where to charge
The best temperature for charging is 20℃-25℃. If not, arrange charging in a ventilated, dry and temperature-controlled indoor environment that is safe and away from direct sunlight, dirt, or debris. Mind the trip hazards or any damage.
3. When to charge
A new battery is about half full. So you can ride your e-bike right away without charging. The first charge can be arranged once you finished your trial rider and verify as safe.
Charging the battery fully after each ride to keep it in full state, so it can power you for the full range the next time you ride. Before starting to charge, make sure the battery temperature has cooled down after each ride. Otherwise, it will inevitably affect the efficiency of charging.
A battery with a partial charge can be left without immediately charging back to full. It should be charged as soon as possible when the battery bar on the display is flashing to indicate the battery is low.
4. How long to charge
It’s recommended to charge the battery for about 12 hours for the first time. And it usually takes 6-8 hours to charge the battery from completely empty to completely full. Charging time will vary depending on distance traveled, circumstance, battery age and so on. Don’t over charge for more than 12 hours.
Battery Charging Steps video
How to maintain the battery
Battery maintenance is an important process to help keep your battery in great shape for years to come. This process will help ensure the cells in the battery are balanced and operating as efficiently as possible.
1. charge timely after each ride to keep it full charged.
2. A regular deep discharge of the battery also helps to "activate" the battery, which can slightly increase its capacity. The general method is to fully charge the battery after the first occurrence of undervoltage protection, and the battery capacity will be improved.
3. Never leave a battery unattended while charging or overcharged for a long time.
4. Though the battery is water-proof, you are suggested to remove the battery when you flush and clear your e-bike.
5. Protect the charger. Try not to carry battery in the bike to prevent loosening of internal transformers, capacitors, high-power triodes, field effect tubes and adjustable potentiometers due to vibration and turbulence, which may lead to parameter drift or even damage of chargers. Also pay attention to ventilation and waterproof.
6. Develop good cycling habits. When starting, slowly turn the handle, the motor has a certain strength after a little pause, wait for the wheels began to rotate from slow to fast to a certain speed, and then continue to accelerate. When the road is flat, choose different speeds for different road conditions, and try to reduce braking and re-acceleration. Acceleration is actually a very power-consuming process. You can ride the fastest when the road condition is good.